News today of a follow-up to yesterday’s survey on the greatest vocal ranges in music that firmly establishes none other than Mike Patton as the man with best pipes in the business.
Concerthotels.com published a better than average piece of PR puffery on Tuesday that showed that Axl Rose of Guns N’ Roses had the greatest vocal range of popular singers (i.e. the list was restricted to those singers who had made Rolling Stones’ 100 Greatest Singers and the nominees for this year’s Billboard Music Awards and included those whose range had been analyzed on The Range Place).
Vintage Vinyl News followed up with a subsequent survey of their own as they broadened out the group of singers to “a broad sampling of other vocalists on The Range Place’s site”.
The result saw Mike Patton move ahead of the artist formerly known as William Bailey to the top of the list with a reported range of 6 octaves.
Vntage Vinyl News add: “We found that Axl Rose is still a formidable force, but he is not the artist with the biggest vocal range. He drops to number 2 on our list behind Mike Patton of Faith No More who was the only singer we found with a range greater than six octaves”.
We mosied over to the Range Place to find out more and delicately dipped a toe into their bewildering if informative forum.
I staggered away mystified, bamboozled by blue notes and non-modals, but there were countless examples there that showed off the range. But nothing shows it off better than this compilation:
Here is the VVN list of the vocalists with the largest range, limited to those with 4 octaves or more.
01. Mike Patton – 6 octaves, 1/2 note (Eb1 to E7)
02. Axl Rose – 5 octaves, 2-1/2 notes (F1 to Bb6)
03. Mariah Carey – 5 octaves, 1 note (F2 to G7)
04. Roger Waters – 4 octaves, 6-1/2 notes (B1 to Bb6)
05. Nick Cave – 4 octaves, 5-1/2 notes (B1 to G#5)
06. Siouxsie Sue – 4 octaves, 5 notes (F2 to D7)
06. Tina Turner – 4 octaves, 5 notes (B2 to G6)
06. Roger Daltrey – 4 octaves, 5 notes (B1 to G5)
06. Lou Gramm – 4 octaves, 5 notes (B1 to G5)
06. Chris Isaak – 4 octaves, 5 notes (B1 to G5)
11. Prince – 4 octaves, 4 notes (E2 to B6)
11. Beyonce – 4 octaves, 4 notes (A2 to E6)
11. Damon Albarn – 4 octaves, 4 notes (B1 to F5)
11. Kate Bush – 4 octaves, 4 notes (B2 to F6)